On 10/14/16 12:28 PM, Robin Wilton wrote:
+1, plus a small further comment: Paul says "if this feature didn't exist, we'd have
to invent an overt equivalent" as if that's a bad thing.

From my perspective, that kind of design decision ought always to be an overt
one - especially where, as Stephen implies, an occasional use-case
(trouble-shooting) is used as the justification for a permanent default with
privacy implications (linkable, semantically-loaded MAC address).

I'm ok with that. There may be a period when stuff people need to do gets harder because the new ways of doing it with privacy haven't yet been invented.

        Thanks,
        Paul

I recommend Michelle Dennedy's book, The Privacy Engineer's Manifesto, and
Sarah Spiekermann's book on Value-based Design, for useful and informative
guidance in this area.

Hope this is of use,
Robin

Robin Wilton

Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy