On 07/04/2017 11:56 PM, Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:
Tom Lane writes:
Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com> writes:
On 07/04/2017 01:29 PM, Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:
Good to know.  I removed those options and tried again.

Did you run make clean before re-running ./configure?

Personally I do "make distclean" before changing any configure options.
I'm not sure how much difference that really makes, but why waste brain
cells chasing such issues?  Build cycles are cheap.
Right, and it's not the issue here.  I always do each build in a freshly
unpacked source tree.

The whole thing's odd though --- certainly many people are building
PG successfully on macOS.  There's got to be something unusual about
Rainer's build environment, but what?
I thought so, too, but I'm beginning to doubt it.  I'm now down to

   ./configure --prefix=/opt/bb/170705

and the initdb failure is the same.  The build machine is a few months old
and has current OS and Xcode, and certainly no other build tools or other
relevant stuff.  I have no special environment variables set.

I do not build on OS X so this is a bit of a reach for me, still here it goes. From your original post the error was:

"reating conversions ... FATAL: could not load library "/opt/bb/170704/lib/postgresql/ascii_and_mic.so": dlopen(/opt/bb/170704/lib/postgresql/ascii_and_mic.so, 10): Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args
          Referenced from: /opt/bb/170704/lib/postgresql/ascii_and_mic.so
          Expected in: /opt/bb/170704/bin/postgres
         in /opt/bb/170704/lib/postgresql/ascii_and_mic.so"

You also mentioned you have done 32 bit builds that worked.

Now when I do 64 bit build on Linux the libraries end up in ~/lib64/:

/usr/local/pgsql/lib64> l ascii_and_mic.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9760 Jun 14 07:32 ascii_and_mic.so*

Yet in your case I see ~/lib/. Not sure how OS X handles 32bit/64bit, which is where I am reaching. Just wondering if there is cross contamination going on?

Another thought, what does:

ldd ascii_and_mic.so

show?

It's been a while since I built PG on macOS, but I regularly do on other
operating systems, and haven't had any trouble in a very long time.

Rainer

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com