Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> We are making a mountain out of a molehill here. We've managed to get
> this right for years with very little fuss. Why make infrastructure to
> handle a problem that is at most marginal? I have more pressing concerns
> that building an autoconf step into buildfarm.

I think that trying to get configure.in to work with arbitrary versions
of autoconf is probably not a very useful expenditure of time, anyway.

What we *do* need is some way of checking whether the right autoconf
version was used in any particular branch; right now we simply rely on
committers to get it right, and it's an easy thing to mess up.

Bruce's suggestion of somehow checking this in the top Makefile is
a possibility, but even better would be if creating configure from
configure.in failed outright.  We have an AC_PREREQ in there that
fails if autoconf is too old, but can we tighten it to also complain
if too new?

       match