On Sun, 5 May 2002 18:07:27 -0400, Neil Conway
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>See AlterTableAddColumn() in commands/tablecmds.c
Thanks.  Sounds obvious.  Should have looked before asking...
This doesn't look too promising:
 * Implementation restrictions: because we don't touch the table rows,
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 * the new column values will initially appear to be NULLs.  (This
 * happens because the heap tuple access routines always check for
 * attnum > # of attributes in tuple, and return NULL if so.)

Scratching my head and pondering on ...
I'll be back :-)

>I'd definately be interested -- let me know if you'd like any help...
Well, currently I'm in the process of making myself familiar with the
code.  That mainly takes hours of reading and searching.  Anyway,
thanks;  I'll post here, if I have questions.

Servus
 Manfred

http://archives.postgresql.org