On Mon, 6 May 2002 08:44:27 +0900
"Hiroshi Inoue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

IMHO, the current ADD COLUMN mechanism is a hack. Besides requiring
redundant on-disk data (t_natts), it isn't SQL compliant (because
default values or NOT NULL can't be specified), and depends on
a low-level kludge (that the storage system will return NULL for
any attnums > the # of the attributes stored in the tuple).

While instantaneous ADD COLUMN is nice, I think it's counter-
productive to not take advantage of a storage space optimization
just to preserve a feature that is already semi-broken.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>