Neil Conway wrote:

> On Mon, 6 May 2002 08:44:27 +0900
> "Hiroshi Inoue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think it's neither a hack nor a kludge.
The value of data which are non-existent at the appearance
is basically unknown. So there could be an implementation
of ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN .. DEFAULT which doesn't touch
existent tuples at all as Oracle does.
Though I don't object to touch tuples to implement ADD COLUMN
.. DEFAULT, please don't change the existent stuff together.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
        http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

http://archives.postgresql.org