On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Joe Abbate <j...@freedomcircle.com> wrote:
> Hello hackers,
>
> In order to test 9.2rc1, I had to build contrib (because Pyrseas uses
> some of those modules).  The build instructions
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/install-procedure.html )
> state the way to build everything (contrib + docs, etc.) is
>
>    gmake world
>
> Unfortunately, that failed because the doc build requires jade.  I
> managed to build contrib separately, but wanted to point out that jade
> is not mentioned in the requirements page
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/install-requirements.html ).

That page should probably point out that there are additional
requirements to build the documentation, and link to the relevant
place that describes those.

>  In fact, searching for 'jade' returns no results.

Searching in the 9.2 docs from the web page doesn't work at all, I'm
not sure why.  You can search for "jade" in 9.1, and then once you
find the page there is a cross link to the 9.2 version of it:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/docguide-toolsets.html

> As an aside, I installed jade (on Debian) and tried to make world but
> got several errors, starting with the following:
>
> jade  -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -wfully-tagged -D . -D .  -d
> stylesheet.dsl -t sgml -i output-html -V html-index postgres.sgml
> jade:E: unknown warning type "fully-tagged"

I think is probably because you don't have "DocBook DTD" or some of
the other prerequisites listed in the URL I gave above.  Or maybe you
just need to re-run "make maintainer-clean" and "./configure" after
installing jade.  I've been tripped up by both issues in the past.

Cheers,

Jeff