On 05/18/2015 07:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 06:53:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
There was talk last time of pgindent-ing head and all back branches,
because a patch applied to head and back branches was historically only
pgindented in head, meaning that any future patches in that area could
not be easily backpatched.

Do we want to do this?
I am personally not excited about that.  I would rather leave the
back-branches alone.
It would be awfully nice though if we didn't have to deal with random
cross-branch indenting differences.  I've lost, maybe not years off my
life, but certainly weeks of not-very-pleasant make-work because of that.
I'm surprised you've not had the same experience.

If people were good about pgindenting patches meant to be back-patched
*before* they committed, it would not be such an issue, but they're not
very good about that.
I couldn't figure out why we were getting that code drift, but now that
Tom has identified why it happens, it seems good that we fix it.
Would it alleviate your concern any if we eased into this, like say only
apply the back-branch pgindent run to 9.5 and later branches?  Then at
least I could foresee the end of that particular annoyance.

(BTW, one practical issue is where would we get typedef lists relevant
to the back branches.  I'm not sure if the buildfarm infrastructure is
capable of collecting branch-specific data, or if we'd need to rather
than just using a union of all branches' typedefs.)
Uh, I just happen to commit the typedef list file used for the pgindent
run in src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list, per branch, so we would just
use the same file.  If typedefs were added in a backbranch (unlikely),
we probably wouldn't want to use them anyway.

The buildfarm animals are perfectly capable of finding typedefs for each branch. They haven't been because the default configuration is only to collect them for HEAD.

Changing this is easy, especially since I control five of the six members currently reporting typedefs successfully, and Tom controls the other one.

I've currently set two of them to do run typedefs for all live branches.

The other thing is that the server script that amalgamates them only looks at HEAD. That will need to change.

We would probably want an amalgamated list, because there could have been symbols on old branches that were deleted in later branches. With luck the presence of false positives wouldn't matter. It usually doesn't seem to.

cheers

andrew