I tend to agree on that bottom line; having this be inconsistent with psql
does not seem like a win.

I'm not clear on why we'd need a full SQL lexer.

So you don't get fooled by semicolons embedded in string literals or
comments.

I take it we ignore those now?  I mean, personally, it wouldn't break
anything for me but since some other benhcmarks involve random text
generators ....

If backward compatibility is not an issue (I'm surprised:-), and failure is acceptable in contrived cases, a simple implementation would be to accumulate lines till one ends with ";\s*$",

Otherwise maybe the "states" management or the lexer are enough (in simple quotes, in double quotes, in comment, in stuff), so this can implemented without actually requiring another lexer in pgbench and be robust.

--
Fabien.