On 1/21/16, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Consider this call chain: SQL code 1 -> PL/Python code 1 -> SPI (via
>> plpy.execute) -> SQL code 2 -> PL/Python code 2
>>
>> If I'm writing PL/Python code 1 and I want to raise an error toward
>> SQL code 1 I use raise plpy.Error. plpy.SPIError is what I get if I
>> call into SQL code 2 and that has an error. That error could indeed
>> come from a plpy.Error thrown by PL/Python code 2 or it could come
>> from a SQL syntax error or whatever. But the symmetry holds:
>> plpy.Error is what you raise to stop the query and return errors to
>> your SQL caller and plpy.SPIError is what you get back if you use SPI
>> to execute some other piece of SQL which has an error. I *think* (I'm
>> an internals newbie though so I could be wrong) that SQL code 1
>> doesn't call into PL/Python code 1 via SPI so why would the latter use
>> something called SPIError to inform the former about an error?
>>

> It is not correct - outside PLPython you got a Error (PostgreSQL error has
> not any classes), and isn't important the raising class (Error or
> SPIError). Inside PL/Python you will got SPIError or successors (based on
> SQLcode).

What exactly is not correct? Indeed, *outside* PLPython you don't get
a Python exception because Postgres isn't Python, you get Postgres'
way of representing an exception (error code, message, hint and so on
that might go to the client or not etc.). But that's normal, it's just
the impedance mismatch between the fact that you embed Python with its
rules into Postgres with its other rules. It's normal that the "host"
(Postgres) wins in the end and uses its mechanism to report errors.
The "guest" (PLPython) is there only to give mechanisms to activate
the "host".

But *inside* PLPython what I wrote is true, see this example for what I mean:

CREATE FUNCTION test()
  RETURNS int
AS $$
  def a_func():
    raise plpy.Error('an error')

  try:
    a_func()
  except plpy.Error as exc:
    plpy.info('have exc {} of type {}'.format(exc, type(exc)))
    plpy.info('have spidata {}'.format(hasattr(exc, 'spidata')))
$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u;

Running this produces:

DROP FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
psql:plpy_demo:16: INFO:  have exc an error of type <class 'plpy.Error'>
psql:plpy_demo:16: INFO:  have spidata False

> Currently If I raise plpy.Error, then it is immediately trasformed to
> PostgreSQL, and and then to SPIError and successors.

Depends how you define immediately. I would say it's really not
immediately, it's only at the Postgres boundary. Imagine in the
example above that a_func could call lots of other Python code and
somewhere deep down raise Error would be used. Within that whole
execution the error stays Error and can be caught as such, it will
have nothing to do with SPIError.

But in my opinion this discussion shouldn't really even be about
catching these things, most of the times you won't catch them and
instead you'll let them go to Postgres. The discussion should be
whether raise plpy.Error(...), plpy.raise_error, plpy.raise_info(,,,)
etc. all with keyword argument support are a good PLPython interface
to Postgres' ereport. I think they are.

On a different note, I've explained what I think but I might be wrong
and don't want to stall the patch just because I don't agree with the
approach it takes.

The waiting for author status is ok since, as far as I can see, Pavel
also agrees that at least some of the issues raised in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHg_5grU=LVRbZDhfCiiYc9PhS=1X5f=gd44-3jcul-qaor...@mail.gmail.com
need to be fixed.

Would it help maybe to remove myself as reviewer in the CF? Maybe that
makes somebody else pick it up and move it further.

I could also code the version I'm describing but that design would be
contrary to what Jim and Pavel lean towards now. It could help to
compare approaches side by side but I don't like the idea of dueling
patches.