On 02/03/2016 10:36 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

I'll be the first to admit that the design is not the prettiest.  Trying
It's entirely reasonable for the community NOT to want to
privilege one implementation over another.

This, not so much.

No, this is ABSOLUTELY critical.  Suppose EnterpriseDB writes an
auditing solution, 2ndQuadrant writes an auditing solution, and Cruncy
Data writes an auditing solution, and the community then picks one of
those to put in core.  Do you not think that the other two companies
will feel like they got the fuzzy end of the lollipop?  The only time
this sort of thing doesn't provoke hard feelings is when everybody
agrees that the solution that was finally adopted was way better than
the competing things.  If you don't think this is a problem, I
respectfully suggest that you haven't seen enough of these situations
play out.

I am on the fence with this one because we should not care about what a company feels, period. We are not a business, we are not an employer. We are a community of people not companies.

On the other hand, I do very much understand what you are saying here and it is a difficult line to walk.

Then on the third hand (for those of us that were cloned and have issues), those companies chose PostgreSQL as their base, that is *their* problem, not ours. We also have to be considerate of the fact that those companies to contribute a lot to the community.

In short, may the best solution for the community win. Period.

Sincerely,

JD

                        +1-503-667-4564