On 03/05/2016 12:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> writes:
On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Petr Jelinek <p...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
I vote for just using sed considering we need flex and bison anyway.
OK cool, we could go with something else than sed to generate probes.h
but that seems sensible considering that this should definitely be
back-patched. Not sure what the others think about adding a new file
in the source tarball by default though.
AFAIK, sed flex and bison originate from three separate source projects;
there is no reason to suppose that the presence of flex and bison on a
particular system guarantee the presence of sed.  I thought the proposal
to get rid of the psed dependence in favor of some more perl code was
pretty sane.

Here is a translation into perl of the sed script, courtesy of the s2p incarnation of psed: <https://gist.github.com/adunstan/d61b1261a4b91496bdc6> The sed script appears to have been stable for a long time, so I don't think we need to be too concerned about possibly maintaining two versions.

cheers

andrew