Tom Lane wrote:

I think that what this discussion is really leading up to is that we
are going to decide to apply the same principle to performance.  The
out-of-the-box settings ought to give reasonable performance, and if
your system can't handle it, you should have to take explicit action
to acknowledge the fact that you aren't going to get reasonable
performance.
What I don't understand is why this is such a huge issue. Set it to a reasonable level (be it 4M or whatever the concensus is) & let the packagers worry about it if that's not appropriate. Isn't it their job to have a good out-of-the-package experience? Won't they have better knowledge of what the system limits are for the packages they develop for? Worst case, couldn't they have a standard conf package & a special "high-performance" conf package in addition to all the base packages? After all, it's the users of the RPMs that are the real problem, not usually the people that compile it on their own. If you were having problems with the "compile-it-yourself" audience, couldn't you just hit them over the head three or four times (configure, install, initdb & failed startup to name a few) reminding them to change it if it wasn't appropriate. What more can you really do? At some point, the end user has to bear some responsibility...

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com