On Tuesday 11 February 2003 13:03, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 12:08, Justin Clift wrote:
> > b) Said benchmarking person knows very little about PostgreSQL, so they
> > install the RPM's, packages, or whatever, and "it works".  Then they run
> > whatever benchmark they've downloaded, or designed, or whatever

> Out of curiosity, how feasible is it for the rpm/package/deb/exe
> maintainers to modify their supplied postgresql.conf settings when
> building said distribution?  AFAIK the minimum default SHHMAX setting on
> Red Hat 8.0 is 32MB, seems like bumping shared buffers to work with that
> amount would be acceptable inside the 8.0 rpm's.

Yes, this is easy to do.  But what is a sane default?  I can patch any file
I'd like to, but my preference is to patch as little as possible, as I'm
trying to be generic here.  I can't assume Red Hat 8 in the source RPM, and
my binaries are to be preferred only if the distributor doesn't have updated
ones.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio