On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 07:41, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:24:23 +0200, Daniel Kalchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >The default [cache] on BSD systems is 10% of the total RAM, so on a 256MB machine
>this
> >would be ~26MB or effective_cache_size = 32000.
>
> I was a bit too Linux-minded, where every peace of memory not needed
> for anything else can be used as cache.  Thanks for the clarification.
> And sorry for my ignorance.

I think you're getting the two confused. I'm not sure about linux, but
on BSD (FreeBSD) the cache and buffer are mostly unrelated.

       Cache: number of pages used for VM-level disk caching

       Buf:   number of pages used for BIO-level disk caching
--
Rod Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc