Re: Peter Eisentraut 2016-10-12
> > Patch attached. (Still using %t, I don't think %m makes sense for the
> > default.)
> That still doesn't address what to do about syslog and eventlog users.
> We would need either a separate prefix setting for those, or maybe
> something like %q that says, skip to here if using syslog.  (I don't
> know eventlog, so I don't know if a common setting for syslog and
> eventlog would work.)

This patch simply tries to fix the default (stderr + '') which wasn't
useful for anyone. Note that there is already a hint in the
documentation that says timestamps and PID are not useful for syslog.

(Yes, the '' default might be fine for syslog, but I don't think
that's a good argument for sticking with it for default installs. I've
seen way too many useless log files out there, and at worst we'll have
syslogs with two timestamps.)

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (