Re: Peter Eisentraut 2016-10-12
<0caa6d7f-deb6-9a43-2b38-60e63af93...@2ndquadrant.com>
> > Patch attached. (Still using %t, I don't think %m makes sense for the
> > default.)
>
> That still doesn't address what to do about syslog and eventlog users.
> We would need either a separate prefix setting for those, or maybe
> something like %q that says, skip to here if using syslog.  (I don't
> know eventlog, so I don't know if a common setting for syslog and
> eventlog would work.)

This patch simply tries to fix the default (stderr + '') which wasn't
useful for anyone. Note that there is already a hint in the
documentation that says timestamps and PID are not useful for syslog.

(Yes, the '' default might be fine for syslog, but I don't think
that's a good argument for sticking with it for default installs. I've
seen way too many useless log files out there, and at worst we'll have
syslogs with two timestamps.)

Christoph