Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Joshua Drake <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Why not hash the URL? Something like:
>> Http://postgresopen.org/archive/743257890976432

> I suggested that upthread...

Don't like the hashing idea because that would be useless for searching,
eg, one's own local mail archives.  Also, if you are looking at a message
in your own mail store when composing a commit message (which I generally
am, don't know about other committers) how are you going to get the hash?
I think it's important to have the message-ID in cleartext.

AFAICS the proposal here is to go from, eg,

Discussion: <caf4au4w6rrh_j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com>

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/caf4au4w6rrh_j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com

which is annoying, but the line was overlength already.  Maybe we could
drop the Discussion: prefix and just write a URL:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/caf4au4w6rrh_j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com

That's still overlength for gmail message-IDs, though, so I'm not sure
it's worth losing the label for.