On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 11:08 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > AFAICS the proposal here is to go from, eg,
> >
> > Discussion: <CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8Zd
> whht8...@mail.gmail.com>

> > Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF4Au4w6rrH_
> j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > which is annoying, but the line was overlength already.  Maybe we could
> > drop the Discussion: prefix and just write a URL:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF4Au4w6rrH_
> j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com
>
> If we use our existing URL shortener, as I proposed upthread, it's still
> overlength but decent enough:
>
> https://postgr.es/m/CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8Zd
> whht8...@mail.gmail.com

It does cut it down a bit. And doing it that way would certainly make it
very "long term survivable". If we put a hash in there, we have to store
the hash somewhere. Not that this is hard, but if there is concern about
long-termability.

Another option would be to teach the URL shortener about our messages
specifically, and just use an internal surrogate key we already have for
them. That way it could be something like the current Planet URLs (which
can be for example http://postgr.es/p/3Dl), so much shorter. To post one
people would have to go to a webform and paste in the messageid or existing
URL though -- or we could put a link on the page in the archives.

It would make the URLs actually short, but as mentioned upthread, that
wouldn't work at all if offline. So it'd be a tradeoff between those, but
so are pretty much all other options that don't include the full message-id.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/