About having a pointer to the initial string from RawStmt, Query & PlannedStmt:

I remembered one reason why we haven't done this: it's unclear how we'd handle copying if we do it. If, say, Query contains a "char *" pointer then you'd expect copyObject() to pstrdup that string, [..., So] We'd need to work out a way of managing multiple Queries carrying references to the same source string, and it's not clear how to do that reasonably.

For me it would be shared, but then it may break some memory management hypothesis downstream.

So for now, it remains the path of least resistance for Portals and CachedPlans to contain a list of Query or PlannedStmt objects and a separate source string.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

--
Fabien.