If that can happen, don't we have the same problem in many other places?
Like, all the SLRUs? They don't fsync the directory either.
Right, pg_commit_ts and pg_clog enter in this category.

Implemented as attached.

Is unlink() guaranteed to be durable, without fsyncing the directory? If
not, then we need to fsync() the directory even if there are no files in it
at the moment, because some might've been removed earlier in the checkpoint
cycle.

What is protection if pg crashes after unlimk() but before fsync()? Right, it's rather small window for such scenario, but isn't better to have another protection? Like WAL-logging of WAL segment removing...

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teo...@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/