Tom Lane wrote:
"Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
If all you want is column, datatype, why not just use info_schema, or
newsysviews? Or even the base catalogs?

Where do I look in the info_schema? How do I know exactly what I need? What is newsysviews?

Exactly the same arguments can be made against any new functions we
invent.  OTOH, I do not think these arguments apply to selecting from
information_schema; that is SQL standard, and if someone doesn't know
what to do with it I don't think it's our fault.

I am not blaming us :).

I am just saying that certain functions can make life easier.

What is easier?

test=# select column_name, data_type from columns where table_schema != 'pg_catalog' and table_name = 'email';
 column_name | data_type
 score       | real

Or:

select pg_get_user_tabledesc(email);

This is the basis of my argument. I don't really have anything to add.

:)

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster