Josh Berkus wrote:
Is it time to turn on autovacuum by default in 8.2? I know we wanted to be on the side of caution with 8.1, but perhaps we should evaluate the experiences now. Comments?

I'm in favor of this, but do we want to turn on vacuum_delay by default as well?

I thought about this, might be a good idea as it will mitigate the impact of vacuums, however it will also slow down vacuums, I'm a bit concerned that it won't be able to keep up on really large database, or that it'll fall really far behind after vacuuming a big table.

Also, if we do enable it, what is a good default?

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq