Simon Riggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> AFAICS the correct test would be
>       if (InArchiveRecovery)
> since needNewTimeLine can only be true iff InArchiveRecovery is true.

> It's often a good idea to disable archive_mode when doing a recovery to
> avoid trying to send files to the same archive as the primary, which
> would then also fail. So requiring XLogArchivingActive() also may not be
> desirable.

Well, that I think is exactly the core of the issue: the "input" archive
area might or might not be the same as the "output" one.  If they're
different then this isn't a critical problem; but we have no good way
to know that.

But your simplification may be a good idea anyway --- the fewer
behaviors to think about, the better.

Anyway, if you can test this tomorrow that'll be great.  I have enough
other things to do today ...

               http://archives.postgresql.org