On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Nicolas Cellier <
nicolas.cellier.aka.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 19 Jun 2014, at 21:01, kilon alios <kilon.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't see how something that is simple cannot be easy unless its not
>> really simple.
>> >
>> > So far I have not found Pharo simpler to Python. As a coding
>> experience. Maybe if I stay around 10 year I will. I know there are things
>> that Pharo / Smalltalk does better than Python like closure , or concepts
>> associated with functional programming etc. But in the end of the day I
>> don't care about languages that theoretically are great.
>> >
>> > I have not yet seen great gains in the language while I code, maybe
>> because in the end of the day I just code in a very simplistic way, I am
>> not a pro coder, I don't have the experience to use complex concepts like
>> an experienced coder would do. I know a few things and that is what I use.
>> But I don't stop learning .
>> >
>> > In the end of the day yes I find Smalltalk and Pharo much more
>> difficult to Python because of the lack of documentation. Even books on
>> Smalltalk seem to be decades old. Pharo has zero official reference
>> documentation and I don't , like many others ,  like to read code , reading
>> code is very very very slow.  Did I just said that I don't like to read
>> code, additionally I don't like to read code. I hate reading code with no
>> comments.

Great first part of your comment Kilon.  Yes, the language is far simpler,
but the libraries, oh the libraries, and the doc.  But doc is not
necessarily the problem.  Examples can be good.  There needs to be lots of
effort put into tutorials, examples, etc.

But I have to say that reading code can be a joy, and really educational,
even if with no comments, _provided_ it is well-written.  That's one of the
things that's really special about SMalltalk, support for reading, both in
the syntax and in the tools (senders, implementors, class comments).  Get
over your antipathy and read as much as you can. Its a good route to
mastery.

>> Reading well written code is an important way to make progress, IMHO.

+1

>>   http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html
>>
>> First principle: << Personal Mastery: If a system is to serve the
>> creative spirit, it must be entirely comprehensible to a single individual.
>> >>

>> Even though Linux is open-source I bet most of us have never read any
>> kernel or system code. In Pharo, everything is easily accessible to a
>> pretty low level - that is really amazing.
>>
>> Using senders, implementers and references to find what you want is a key
>> skill.
>>
>> Of course, not every part of the system is as good an example, or written
>> in such a way that it is easily understood - nor is everything documented.
>> And granted, often it can be hard to get an overview.
>>
>> But we are moving forward in the right direction.
>>

> Yep, I forgot that I learned with Smalltalk/V and st80... I think I had
> read all the code base after two or three years, blue book included.
> Learning with Squeak/Pharo certainly put the hurdle a bit high... I don't
> think I will ever read the whole...
> I'd say maybe try and teach with Cuis?

Good idea.  Learning with Smalltalk-80 V2 was such a joy.  You could read
and understand everything.  It led to a feeling of mastery.  Being able to
hack the compiler, modify tools, etc.  Lovely.  Small is beautiful.

--
best,
Eliot