> [...]
>
>> On 27 Nov 2014, at 14:43, p...@highoctane.be <mailto:p...@highoctane.be>
>> wrote:
>>
>> At times, mczs still come handy for some merges...
>>
>> And Smalltalkhub is good as a safe heaven for collecting packages that are
>> otherwise scattered all around.
>
> nothing that a real catalog/centralised package manager alla npm/apt-get/etc
> cannot do it.
> using a package manager as a catalog feels to me like hammering a screw.
>
> Sure,  I am with you on that. I am yum - ing all day long :-)
>
> But as you know, the Pharo Catalog descriptions are quite lonely.
> I'd like to take a moment to tackle that one.
>
> In fact, there are several concerns that I find (and other members on the
> list share the feeling) must be addressed for commercial development.
>
> e.g.: Stronger RDBMS support, AAA, Logs, ...
>
> But this not really Pharo per se, but a onion ring around it.
> As you guys are doing 4.0, that onion ring is making 3.0 work for commercial
> stuff.
> I think that we'll always be one version behind, which is ok.
>

>> Is there a reason why Smalltalkhub would not stay working nicely?
>
> because we do not have the strength/willing to maintain it.
> and each day we are: farther from “state of the art” source management, and
> farther from state of the art javascript, etc. (which is the reason why sthub
>
> Ok, thx.
>

>> Are we talking about using bigger boxes here? Or is it a deeper issue?
>
> keeping up-to-date a system like sthub is a lot of work, and takes a lot of
> time.
> personally, I prefer way more to spend my time in things that will have a
> real impact in the community (like having a modern vm) than lose it trying
> constantly to catch up with what others (with a lot more resources) already
> did.
>
> Sure, modern vm anytime!
> The git worklflow is superpowerful and that's what people use these days.
> In a MOOC I do, all exercises and slideware are in Github...
>

> each time I start a sub-project, my first question is: “this stuff will have
> a multiplier effect in the community?” and second question is “do we have to
> doit from scratch, or can we take advantage of other projects?”. As a
> maintainer, and being conscious of our limitations, this are the driving
> forces I find positive to work.
> (and of course, most times I do not start sub-projects at all, I just jump
> into a burning place and try to do my best to fix it… not always very
> successfully :P)
>
> Nah, you rule. I wish I was as good as you are.
>

> so, coming back to less “philosophical” question:
>
> 1) do we need a state-of-the-art source code management? YES.
> 2) do we want to spend the few manpower we have on running into a worst
> solution of what is already around? I think no.
>
> libgit2 would provide that without going through Github driver hoops, which
> is sweet and more welcoming to newcomers.

and exactly there is where I will put my effort (as soon as I have time) :)
In the long way, I’m quite sure is a lot more important for community than
patching sthub.

btw… historic reference: sthub was never intended to be there for stay. I
remember talking  about it with Nico and Stef, more than two years ago, before
sthub came online,  and our conclusion at the time was: “yes, the future it
will be git, but until we get there, let’s put sthub online because sqsource
cannot handle more projects"