Le 08/01/2016 21:22, stepharo a écrit :
> I'm sorry but this debugger should not be the default one.
> MONDAY we are filming our mooc and we have to explain the debugger and
> personally I do not see the gain:
>     - It looks a lot more complex to me and I do not want to have to
> redo all the screenshots
>     of our lecture.
>     - Just that I have to learn the meaning of small icons.
>     - Why do we need a special pane for the evaluator
>     - Why there is a type column.
>     - Sorry but I'm not convinced about the moldable aspect behind the
> story (no need to argue I know it)
>
> I would like to avoid to be forced to use not the latest version of
> Pharo for the mooc.
>
> Such changes are arriving far too late in the release. We do not change
> the debugger itself the day of code freeze.
>
> We decided that the GTDebugger can be included but to me it never meant
> that it should be the default one.
> I think that experts can choose the debugger they want. The newbies don't.
>
> Stef

IMO the old debugger is way more intuitive.
When I used the debugger of Eclipse for java I was lost. When I used
Spec debugger I thought "Oh, this is not so hard in fact". And I lose
the feeling with GTDebugger. And the debugger is one of the main source
of interest for newbies.

Maybe we could have a button on the spec Debugger "Switch to GTDebugger"?

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne