About GT I have some concerns too now I see also a lot of
    improvements. I love GTInspector and we should remove EyeInspector.

    I want to have once brick is out another minimal environment not
    based on anything so that we can have a back-door to debug when
    the other tools have a problems.

Cool you are considering this situation.

We **always** considered it because we aim at building minimal kernels but if Pharo would be only about that then nobody would use it. In PetitsBazars/Ondo is a little try I did to understand what I wanted. And we are not just considering it. We should have it. Now I was waiting for better widgets
because I started to hate pluggable*

Now if you have the code of the old inspector at hand package it and we will include it and remove the eyeinspector.

    Now some answers:

I'm afraid my english is good enough to provide clear feedback. I try to do my best without offending anyone (see below)
I understand really well what you mean. :)
Now the key points is how can we turn things positively.
Sorry but

        - you would be surprised by how many people would vote to get
    GT tools inside Pharo :)

In my opinion is because it is biased by the same people who is behind, or invested time testing/fixing it, and we are few to have a valuable N. This will never be fair, newbies will ignore the old inspector/explorer (yes, the old one from Squeak) was just fine and was easily understandable and extensible just adding a few methods. And, I repeat in my opinion, a new inspector isn't really a high priority for our world problems (big data is, for example), much less a framework.... So that's my view on it.

But that's all, decision was taken. Now we have to move on.

No I want a basic inspector in the system :)

        - then I do not know what to tell you because I'm quite sure
    that Apache or Mozilla are not managed by vote of people.

Just a few references you, or the board, may consider for the future :

Python: https://www.python.org/psf/membership/#who-is-allowed-to-vote <https://www.python.org/psf/membership/#who-is-allowed-to-vote> KDE : " A "KDE Core Team" uses a democratic voting procedure to resolve important issues " Apache HTTPD : " Proposed changes are voted upon via mailing list; 3 yes votes with no vetos are required to commit a change " Mozilla : "A review and super-review process is required for most code changes."

http://flosshub.org/sites/flosshub.org/files/HalloranScherlis.pdf <http://flosshub.org/sites/flosshub.org/files/HalloranScherlis.pdf>

"It is important to keep users involved in the process and not treat them as second-class citizens."
Richard P. Gabriel
http://www.dreamsongs.com/IHE/IHE-52.html <http://www.dreamsongs.com/IHE/IHE-52.html>
We are not treating people as second citizens.

To be clear, it's not against GT specifically (I don't like it, too slow, takes too much space, etc) but the integration process behind, where the board delivered it and seemed to said f**ck you this must be loved, deal with it if don't. But then we don't have an easy way too uninstall it, I have to spend days investigating how to remove it disabling settings in specific order, and without leaving obsolete instances all around. So what's my proposal for a next release?
Can you publish the unload process?
Respect the freedom of choice for people which is not obligated to love all your tools, by providing an uninstall option (if the tool is not really essential)
I agree about the Unload.... Joseph Pelrine always told me that we are only done when we can
upload and that the system is in a good shape.

You may not know it because I spent days working on configuration of RB and friends The problems is that it is a hell to keep them up to date (because of our image). We should have a building process from a seed. Because like that you experiment every single day that you loading script.
Now we did not stress enough the unload of Metacello.

Now you see Pharo cannot be an empty shell.
Because what will happen if we are always listening to someone that does not like something. Now I strongly encourage you to watch the esug talk about bootstrap because with it and all the work of Pavel to define configurations for all the part of the system so people will be able to build their solutions when the
official version does not suite their needs.

    I would love to have the time to invite you, or any GT developer,
    to work with me just one week with real DNA data, and see how
    well GT goes...

    Please do a skype sharing session with Andrei and Doru. I'm sure
    that they will love to do it.
    So I take your words and urge you do it.
    It will help you to get out your frsutration and I'm sure that GT
    will improve.
    So a clear win/win situation.

This is hard for me because I'm sure at this point Andrei and Doru should be angry with me for ciriticizing their work.
No I do not think so :)
I criticized their tools too.
But I will try to make some use cases these days and share with you so I can show you specifically what I'm talking about.
Excellent!

    Understood, what makes me most sad is users almost accepted they
    cannot do better and if they do, their work will never be
    integrated by default.
    No do better.
    Why I started Spec when ther was Glamour. Why Alain was working on
    Calipso?
    I would love that someone comes and tell me: take XX it is super
    hyper cool UI Builder.

Me too, and by this point we should really ask ourselves why we don't have yet a cool UI Builder.
Because nobody did it in a way that we can use it.

One guy worked alone on a private project long time ago. We could not give him any feedback
because he wanted to have it perfect in the first place.
He stoped to work on it because of bad table support.
I looked at it once he opened-source it and you would not like to have the code in Pharo.

Stef

Hernán

    Instead, non-voters decisions discourages users to be rewarded
    for their creativity, and imposes many others to work free
    "supporting" tools which were imposed de facto.

        So again, I cannot stress this enough: Is my job to say no. I
        know I hurt some people but social development is complicated.
        I do not think I do a bad job :)

    Me neither, but you cannot expect conformity from all of us.

    Hernán

        cheers!
        Esteban

        On 24 Aug 2016, at 09:38, stepharo <steph...@free.fr