Sean,

fuel relies on the fact that the environment for materialization is the same as
where it has been serialized. So classes and methods need to be mostly the
same. A non-spur to spur change is likely to make it fail. These changes are
rare but sonetimes the need to be done. If you want to move data between
different environments you are better off using STON.

Norbert