  From: John Maeder
  To: Antique phonograph discussion list for pre-1930 phonographs
  Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 10:20 PM
  Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Question for Edison historians

  Don't know about the reverb issue, but the horn in the photo was 125' long
and built of brass and was used to record Diamond Disc records at Edison's
Columbia Street studio.  It was 10' in diameter at the large end.  There was a
studio at the large end, a recording lathe shed at the other and a long shed
connecting the two and covering the horn in its entirety.  All the structures
had corrugated sheet iron exteriors.  Edison's research indicated that sound
waves of differing frequencies did not align for 125'.  Instruments and voices
were 'mixed' by placing the loudest instruments closer to the edge of the horn
and quieter or solo instruments closer to the center.  Musicians sat on a steep
bleacher in front of the horn, and would move closer to the center for solos.
This incredible relic of acoustical recording history was scrapped for the war
effort in 1942.  John M