I think the ear is always a reliable guide in terms of voices sounding natural.
 Billy Murray had such a prolific career precisely because he sounded so high
and tinny during a period where that was the only kind of voice that would
cleanly project through the medium (without being the world's greatest opera
singer, of course).  Cal Stewart sounds a bit 'sped up' to me as well, but I
know that was a component of his comedic delivery.
Pathe certainly wasn't worried about a standardized speed -- the early sleeves
say to play between 90 and 100 rpm.  Fonotipias are also completely all over
the place in terms of speed.  And of course, Aida Flavia-Artsay's great book
about Caruso's recordings took every aspect possible into account (including
the eyewitness testimony of other opera singers) when 'pitching' all Caruso's
recordings, revealing speeds from 67rpm on up to 78 for just the G&T's alone!
Best,Robert