To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Edison Retail Cylinder Box???

since Charles McCarn who has an enormous collection and has been collecting for 40 or 50 years has never come across one... besides, what can the survival rate of a disposable cardboard box actually be?

Perhaps Charles in his 40 or 50 years, has not had the opportunity or desire to check ebay.

As George G. said....they come up on ebay from time to time.

A couple of years ago, someone on ebay was selling them, and they looked like NOS. He had a bunch of them.

I got my "six pack" pre-ebay and paid a lot for it, because I, like you, had never seen one before.

So the internet (ebay) is the great equalizer, and has made scarce things more common (again and again).

An example of this in another collecting field are the original cardboard boxes for the Toonerville Trolley toy. These were from the 20's. Someone recently found dozens, NOS, in a warehouse, and now can be found in flea markets, shows, and yes, ebay.

Dennis