These boxes indeed turn up now and then.  I have the 3, 6, and 12-record
varieties myself, and I've seen other examples in various collections.  A
dealer had a 3-record version for sale at Union last month.  The boxes are
printed, "The Pardell Folding Box", and were evidently offered to dealers for
use as promotions.  One of my boxes has a dealer's ink stamp on it.  I've
always been surprised that these Pardell boxes were never mentioned in the
Edison Phonograph Monthly, as they were offered for a number of years.  I've
seen examples with illustrations of Edison 4-minute wax records on some of
these, although I don't own that one.  My 6-record box (labeled as
"Half-Dozen") specifies "Moulded Records" and illustrates the drawer-type
"Concert" despite being meant for standard-size cylinders.  From these
observations, I'm inferring that the Pardell boxes were available for at least
7 years.

"Common" and "rare" are relative and subjective terms, but the Pardell boxes
certainly aren't rare!

George P.