From: Paul Burney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 10:04 AM
To: php mailing list
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Photo Album Schema

on 8/21/01 9:58 AM, Sheridan Saint-Michel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> If you are going to use a single directory with a filename
> convention I would suggest something simple, yet unique
> like
>
> "id" . "filename"
>
> Where id is the unique userid from the DB and filename
> is the original name of the file.
>
> This would avoid conflicts (which is the point of a naming convention)
> and be fairly easy to implement.

Be careful for bad characters in filenames.  You should probably
preg_replace a few things in the filename first (&*/;).  You may also need
to code something warning the user if they are about to overwrite a file
whose name already exists.

I usually just name a file based on the timestamp, i.e.,

$parts = explode(' ',microtime());
$parts[0] = substr($parts[0],2);
$file_name = $parts[1] . $parts[0] . $file_extension;

You should also look at using the GetImageSize function to determine whether
or not the file is really an image.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Paul Burney