"Sheridan Saint-Michel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
036e01c12a62$22947200$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:036e01c12a62$22947200$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You may want to, instead, create a directory for each user
> with their name.  This has several benefits.  The first is that it
> is an easy way to avoid conflicts.  If Rick and I both upload
> an image 'beach.jpg' one won't be overwritten.

I would prefer to store the picture's original name in
the database and on your site use unique generated
names... this would allow a single user to have
a number of pictures all named 'beach' (for instance).

I would not use per-user directories; rather, I
would split them by upload time and/or sessionID.
This should give a more even distribution, and be
directly useful for load balancing etc.

> Finally, this opens up a variety of possibilities for the future.
> Things like FTP access, and having random pictures on the
> user's initial album page wouldn't be too dificult with this setup.

Here's a question - how hard is it to set up
a virtual ftp dir, linked to arbitrary specified files?