have a look at get_html_translation_table() in the php manual.

there is an example of conversion of all special chars so they can be
inserted into the database as text (i.e. £>&pound) and a cool way of
'decoding' them if you need to write them to a file. A Browser wil interpret
them correctly when they are displayed.

This must be the question of the day as i have posted this answer three
times today :-)

Let me know if you need any more help

Steve

get_html_translation_table manual page is below:

      PHP Manual
      Prev  Next

----

get_html_translation_table
(PHP 4 >= 4.0b4)

get_html_translation_table --  Returns the translation table used by
htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities()
Description

string get_html_translation_table (int table [, int quote_style])

get_html_translation_table() will return the translation table that is used
internally for htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities(). There are two new
defines (HTML_ENTITIES, HTML_SPECIALCHARS) that allow you to specify the
table you want. And as in the htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities()
functions you can optionally specify the quote_style you are working with.
The default is ENT_COMPAT mode. See the description of these modes in
htmlspecialchars(). Example 1. Translation Table Example

$trans = get_html_translation_table (HTML_ENTITIES);
$str = "Hallo & <Frau> & Krämer";
$encoded = strtr ($str, $trans);

The $encoded variable will now contain: "Hallo &amp; &lt;Frau&gt; &amp;
Kr&auml;mer".

The cool thing is using array_flip() to change the direction of the
translation.

$trans = array_flip ($trans);
$original = strtr ($str, $trans);

The content of $original would be: "Hallo & <Frau> & Krämer".
  Note: This function was added in PHP 4.0.

See also: htmlspecialchars(), htmlentities(), strtr(), and array_flip().

----
      Prev Home Next
      explode Up get_meta_tags