It seems obvious to me that you can do whatever you please - I was just
suggesting what seems to me as the proper way to do it.

Why I say it's the proper way to do the job is because you never know about
future development and storing the data in ASCII seems to me as the most
convenient approach to avoid possible problems later on. But then again, this
is my own opinion - you are free to implement whatever solution you find most
suitable.

Bogdan