Olinux,

> Haven't been following and not sure if this is what
> you're after, but these are some great data models:
> http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/index.htm

Thanks for this. I came across this site/these diagrams before, but thought them to be
too 'introductory' and
vague for use 'in anger', and without commentary not particularly useful as a tutorial
(unless one is really
determined)

Unfortunately they [that I looked at again today] are also in the form of ERDs (entity
relationship diagrams)
rather than ELH diagrams (which we had been discussing).

So I Googled "entity life history" and diagram...

The first hit took me to SmartDraw.com. Their site was good because it shows examples
of different types of
diagrams, but it is all academic-theoretical/no worked real-life examples. Poking
around the site (or duh! using
the second Google hit) I did find a fairly simple worked example of an ELH diagram.

Tim: these guys are pushing SSADM, a British government initiative from 15-20 years
back (no less valid for its
age). You (and others in the States) may or may not find it easy to get hold of SSADM
stuff, simply because it
didn't become popular in the States.

A bit further down, Google offers http://www.cscs.wmin.ac.uk/~ssadm/elh/elhs.html
which is a lecture from the
University of Westminster and part of the/an SSADM organisation's site. It has the
sort of worked-descriptions
that I mentioned (to Tim) earlier. Rumbling around on their site will also enable the
study of other useful
design tool/method tutorials - and may save/justify a trip to the library!

Regards,
=dn