DL Neil (I presume you have a first name tucked away inside there),

Your comments are appreciated. I am becoming more and more comfortable with
what I am doing with MySQL/PHP.

With reference to the 3-box trick, I thought that the bulk of my work would
be inthe centre box but as you point out that would be inefficient if the
work can be pre-processed in the RDBMS box.

A simple explanation of my Filemaker system follows. But first, a
description of what the service provides might help.

Our members (50+ uk universities) can request material (usually book
chapters or journal articles) to be delivered electronically (or rarely, by
paper) to their students. We handle copyright clearance through the UK
rights agency (CLA) and through publishers/authors. We pass the prices back
to the clients via the web interface and the client accepts/declines. We
then source originals from the British Library which are digitised by a
bureau and put into PDF before a front page is attached (currently automated
using Applescript but hope to use PDFlib in future) and delivered to the
university. We invoice monthly for items completed, not by course. We have a
success rate of 60% mainly due to the reluctance of publishers having their
material mounted on the web.

Now the system: (number of current records in parentheses)

Transactions (15000+)
 [contains a record for each requested extract with workflow and cost
information]
Course (900+)
 [Holds data for courses such as student numbers, dates etc]
Bib_source (6000+)
 [Book or journal data held here at title level]
Bib_extract (9000+)
 [Chapter/article level data held]
Publishers (18000+)
 [Rightsholder details data bought in]
Customers (50+)
 [Client details]
Buyers (200+)
 [Individuals who can make purchasing decisions at clients]
Illustrations (150+)
 [Illustrations require special handling and there can be several per
extract]
Invoices (300+)
 [data taken from Transactions and Customers to produce PDF invoices]
Userlog (4000++)
 [log of users accessing main system]
Weblog (500+)
 [covers whole site and started in December]
Staff (10+)
 [Staff names, addresses, emails etc]
Scanrates
 [CLA-provided table to store pre-priced material - covers about 40% of
requests]
Helpdesk-general
 [General helpdesk alloowing LAN-wide staff access and direct responses to
users]
Helpdesk-transactional
 [As above but specifically set up to handle problems about individual
transactions]

I run a dual site with a main 'Live' service and a Training service allowing
users to play with the processes before they get near the real thing.

I'll need to leave now to pick the kids up from school as the wife is ill.
I'll see your comments tomorrow when I get back in.

Regards

George