At 05:03 17/4/2001, Sterling Hughes wrote:
>Ok, let me just see if I understand...
>
>move everything out of the distribution (from mysql popular extensions
>like mysql to hardly used ones like qtdom), and then, come release time,
>package a predefined set of PEAR modules and extensions we want to package
>for PHP4.

Not really - some of the extensions will remain in PHP.  I believe that the
fact that PHP comes bundled with support for some of the most common Web
environment applications is still a serious factor in its success.  It did
get into a situation when there are simply too many not-too-mainstream
extensions in there, though, which makes it very difficult to find a stable
point at time to release it.  I wouldn't expect MySQL, Oracle or XML
support to be removed from PHP, though.

Zeev