On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:57:14AM +0200, Jani Taskinen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Emiliano wrote:
>
> >Jani Taskinen wrote:
> >> Why would anyone want to use phpize on imap extension?
> >> (forgive me but I never have needed phpize..)
> >
> >You do when you want to develop self-contained extensions. SCEs are
> >useful for large PHP extensions that have to live outside the main PHP
> >tree, or for package builders that want to develop a main php4 package
> >and separate packages for the extensions (much like debian does).
>
> Well, this is off topic. I was talking about the IMAP extension
> that lives in inside the main PHP tree and it doesn't have any
> use for phpize.
Any extension can be built using phpize, there is no serious difference in
building process with or without it except for discussed one. It is needed
for distribution vendors. No matter where extension lives, it needs to be
packaged and build separately of building PHP binary itself (or different
SAPI module). This is just for better management of building process. Of
course, this is up to distribution vendors how to make this process, but
why to complicate work? Many people use vendor-provided binaries for
PHP and it's modules.

In addition, environment to build extensions as SCE was one of the most
valuable achievements of PHP4, isn't it? :-)

Enough on this topic, let's back to work :-)

--
Sincerely yours, Alexander Bokovoy
  The Midgard Project    | ALT  Linux  Team | Minsk Linux Users Group