> At 00:08 24/05/2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> >I really don't like the term Web Services.  SOAP is an RPC mechanism and
> >has nothing to do with the web despite what M$ would like to have you
> >think.
>
> I think that's kind of like saying HTML has nothing to do with the web, but
> anyway, perception is everything.  If people look for web services, then
> IMHO, that's what they should find.

Well, HTML is an intrical part of the Web and I don't see how that can be
compared to SOAP at all.  In order for SOAP to be part of the Web it needs
to conform to the HTTP protocol and to the concepts that defines the Web.
It doesn't do that at all today.  It has taken the URL and other HTTP
header control data and completely mangled it by pushing content and
commands over it that do not match the semantics of the HTTP header
control data.

Just because you tunnel something over port 80 to avoid being blocked by
firewalls doesn't suddenly mean you are now a web protocol.  This argument
is a current battle within the W3C where a lot of people would like to see
SOAP kicked out of the organization.  Nobody has ever threatened to kick
the HTML working groups out of the W3C.

-Rasmus