> I'm not really arguing for or against this, but since when did speaking
> english become a corollary of being intelligent?  And even if we accept
> the rather ridiculous hypotheis that all php developers can comprehend
> english, what if they don't want to, or are more confident using their
> native tongue in day-to-day work?  Why deny that to them on prinicple?

Well, speaking english as a corollary for intelligence, perhaps not,
education most likely.  I've spoken to very few PhDs abroad that don't speak
english, I've spoken to quite a few Supermarket checkout people that don't
speak english.

But that's another discussion. :-)

> Plenty of products support multi-lingual errors in the way John
> describes.  In fact there's an argument that constant-based error codes
> are even easier to describe than verobose english descriptions, as they
> leave no room for ambiguity due to re-phrasing.

They also make it incredibly unintuitive :)

There needs to be a medium between maintainability and sanity.  Understanding
basic english can be a requirement.  If they really have problems, they can
read the docs which explain the errors to users who don't speak english...

The question is - what language does this different?

Perl, Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C all have english only error messages.

Anyhow, until someone comes up with a viable implementation, the thought of
whether this belongs in the language is pretty much right. :)

-Sterling