hi,

> I'm not really arguing for or against this, but since when did speaking
> english become a corollary of being intelligent?  And even if we accept
> the rather ridiculous hypotheis that all php developers can comprehend
> english, what if they don't want to, or are more confident using their
> native tongue in day-to-day work?  Why deny that to them on prinicple?

I wasn't trying to equate intelligence with the knowledge of a language
(ok, I did, but that wasn't my point, really). We are arguing about
implementing localized error messages, because we think it will

  a) attract more people to PHP
  b) faciliate their (and our) lives

While I think that localization can bring SOME advantages, the
disadvantages will overweigh. Error messages are really very brief and
only consist of a few words, which can be quickly looked up. However,
what about the maintenance headache when you are assigned to a project
written in a foreign language?

I would prefer to have the developers getting used (yes, meaning
"educate them") to english being a universal language, for both the
language constructs, error messages, documentation. This will be
more advantageous in the long run.

-daniel