On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Paul Jones <pmjone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 11:32, Pedro Cordeiro <pedronar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Paul, the role of a secretary is well described here, as I'm sure you
> are aware: http://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/membership/#fig-secretary.
>
> Yes, it's *described* there, but nobody seems to be able to say what
> *kind* of secretary is described. Based on the ZendCon meeting summary (the
> meeting at which the idea for the role was first raised), it was originally
> more "assistive" and "record-keeper" in nature:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/php-fig/pxezV88Uk1I/eW3GvtPRCgAJ
>

> > ### New FIG Role: Secretary
> >
> > The secretary role would serve several functions:
> >
> > - Keeping the website up-to-date, including merging pull requests.
> > - GitHub organization administration (assigning people to teams,
> removing people
> >   from teams, etc.). Specifically, this would involve providing editors
> and
> >   coordinators of proposals commit access prior to a proposal being
> accepted or
> >   rejected, and removing commit access once a proposal is complete
> (unless a
> >   member is also involved in other active proposals).
> > - Tallying votes.
> > - Tracking member project activity, and marking projects as inactive.
> >
> > The role will be filled by 3 people, to ensure that at least one person
> is
> > always available in a timely manner. Additionaly, to remove partiality,
> the role
> > would be restricted to:
> >
> > - non-voting members of FIG;
> > - members not actively involved in a current proposal (i.e., you cannot
> be an
> >   editor of a proposal AND fulfill the role of secretary).
> >
> > Not discussed:
> >
> > - duration of service. (i.e., does service terminate after a fixed
> duration?)
> > - eligility (are secretaries proposed? or do they volunteer?)
> > - election (is an entrance vote required?)
> >
> > Joe Ferguson, who was present, volunteered for the role of Secretary.

And that was used as a basis for the current form of the Secretary:

http://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/membership/#fig-secretary

The duties of the secretary are clearly laid out, regardless of "what type"
of secretary they are. This was a vote that you participated in by a +0
vote.

> [...]
> government but are in the majority/government party); a Parliamentary Under
> Secretary of State is subordinate to the Secretary of State but is an MP
> with a smaller brief that they can focus on, reporting to their SoS; a
> Secretary of a club or society is a mix of a leadership position (they are
> a club officer and normally considered a very senior one, and the person
> legally responsible for the actions of the club or society) but also
> administrative duties as you describe; and of course, the way you describe
> it, as a PA type role.
> >
> > The point I'm trying to make is that is is a simple fact that the title
> Secretary can mean a huge variety of things, some considerably more
> authoritative than that which the role of FIG Secretaries is, some are more
> solely administrative (I'd note the term 'Administrator' has very similar
> variance in meaning also). You seem to put a lot of value in the naming of
> the role; in fact, your last email indicates this is the *most important*
> thing to you. Might I ask why?
> >
> > So I do name the role, and I name it Secretary. If you wish to add other
> titles onto this such as Developer Advocate, PR *, Administrative *,
> Moderator, Administrator, Social Media *, with * indicating that manager or
> assistant could be used interchangeably, then you may if that makes you
> feel like you better understand the role. Just like the startup industry,
> where titles mean relatively little because they are a small number of
> people filling a large number of roles, so everyone in the company calls
> themselves a 'Director of XYZ', the same is applicable here. It is not the
> title that is necessarily important, but the actions, role and
> responsibilities.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_State
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_(United_Kingdom)
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Secretary
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary-General_of_the_United_Nations
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Private_Secretary
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Under-Secretary_of_State
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Secretary_to_the_Sovereign
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Secretary
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_secretary
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_(title)
> > https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/
> bylaws/003-membership.md#overarching-role
>
> I admit I am unsettled by the idea that somehow the secretaries are seen
> by Michael, who wrote the role description that has been voted in, as
> anything even remotely resembling a Secretary-General or a Director.
> Certainly that was not the impression I had when I voted +0 on the role; if
> I'd had that impression, I'd have voted -1 and raised objections.
>
> So again, I ask: of those many kinds of secretaries, exactly which one(s)
> describe the secretarial role here in FIG?

Chris Tankersley
http://ctankersley.com