Mark McCulligh wrote:
I am also building a new server.  I am going with RedHat 8, but only
installing the Classic server from the CDs. Then installing/configuring
Apache/PHP/MySQL/SSL manually. I like the rpm install programs but I like to
be able to add modules in the future and I find it easier the configure it
all by hand.

I also use the up2date, but only for the basic server part, not the
webserver part.  I will reconfigure my web server is a new version or patch
comes out.

I am doing to use Apache 1.3.27, because I too have read all the warnings
about 2.X and PHP, it does not look stable. Maybe with PHP 5 it will be
stable.

I went with Redhat 8 over 9 because I have also read about a lot of bugs
with redhat 9.

I usually don't like to use the new of anything until it have been out for
sometime and I don't see any see bug reports.

Just my two cent.

Mark.

"Joseph Szobody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Folks,

I'm just getting ready to built a webserver this weekend and was planning on
using RH9, so this thread especially caught my eye. The website that the
server will be hosting is pretty simple, some basic DB queries, no special
Apache modules. Is Apache 2.0 still not a good choice for something simple?

If I really should use Apache 1.3, then which route would be easier...

1. Install RH9, remove Apache 2.0 and manually install Apache 1.3 (from
tarball). The only problem with this is that I will no longer be able to use
the Red Hat Network's "up2date" tool to download and apply patches (from
what I understand). Up2date is a huge time saver for me.

2. Install RH7.3, and manually install the latest version of PHP (I simply
can't use the version that comes with RH7.3). Of course then I still have
the older version of MySQL, and everything else.

Comments?

Joseph

Linux is quite new for me, so please forgive me if my questions are rather basic.

I have RH 9 installed and I want to add the Interbase extensions to PHP and then recompile Apache.  Conceptually I understand what has to be done, but I do not know the steps or syntax.  Is there documentation available for doing this?

Todd
--

<<inline: NewLogo.gif>>