[snip]
... making me wonder if a local sendmail is handling the requests
instead.

With all of the above refering to sendmail, is there anyway that my
mail()
can actually be using qmail?
[/snip]

>From http://www.php.net/mail, something you have not read apparently....

"For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the
sendmail binary on your system during compile time. [LOOKIE
HERE------>If you use another mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be
sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers that come with
them.<------END LOOKIE] PHP will first look for sendmail in your PATH,
and then in the following:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly
recommended to have sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user
that compiled PHP must have permission to access the sendmail binary. "