> I have been having all kinds of problems with the mail() function in PHP.
> realize that there are problems inheritly, but I think I am still trying
> track down the problem.
>
> My latest theory is that PHP isn't set up to work with the right mailing
> program. I know that our system is supposed to be using qmail that
> actually
> sits on a different server, but I found interesting information in phpinfo
> that is making me wonder if a local sendmail is handling the requests
> instead.
>
> Here are the things I am finding in phpinfo:
> sendmail_from no value no value
> sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
> SMTP localhost localhost
> smtp_port 25 25
> Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
>
> Enviornment
> MAIL /var/mail/kpratt (what does this one do?)
>
> With all of the above refering to sendmail, is there anyway that my mail()
> can actually be using qmail?
>
> Thanks!

The mail settings in php.ini is for Windows only. When using PHP on
Unix/Linux, mail() always defaults to the sendmail binary on localhost. So
you can ignore what it says in phpinfo.

My mail server at home is running Qmail as well as the web server I run at
my work. (Quick plug, Qmail rulez!1!1!!)...okay, anyways, since Qmail
comes with a sendmail wrapper you should have no problems using it with
the mail() function.

If your Qmail server is on a remote host, then you need to configure the
local server's sendmail program to relay mail to the remote server.

/var/mail is where users mail boxes are stored when using to old mail
format mbox. Qmail uses the newer format Maildir which resides in user's
home directory. So it looks like you have a user by the name of kpratt?

--
--Matthew Sims
--<http://killermookie.org>