Jed R. Brubaker wrote:
I have been having all kinds of problems with the mail() function in PHP. I realize that there are problems inheritly, but I think I am still trying to track down the problem.

My latest theory is that PHP isn't set up to work with the right mailing program. I know that our system is supposed to be using qmail that actually sits on a different server, but I found interesting information in phpinfo that is making me wonder if a local sendmail is handling the requests instead.

Here are the things I am finding in phpinfo:
sendmail_from no value no value
sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
SMTP localhost localhost
smtp_port 25 25
Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Enviornment
MAIL /var/mail/kpratt (what does this one do?)

With all of the above refering to sendmail, is there anyway that my mail() can actually be using qmail?

Depends on how qmail was installed. If it was installed on the local box, and via instructions like Life With qmail, then yes, it will work fine. qmail has a sendmail wrapper, so you need to just ensure that there's a symbolic link to it on sendmail's normal home.

The MTA has to be on the local machine.

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek