Robert Cummings wrote:

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 10:50 -0400, Gabe wrote:

Gabe wrote:

What's the common consensus as to a solid PHP framework to use for application development? There seems to be a number of them out there, but I'm not sure which one's are the most robust, actively developed, secure, etc etc.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it's just personal preference.  But thanks for all the posts!

Too bad there isn't a skeleton sort-of system that you essentially then just plug in the modules that you want/need to "flesh" it out. Then you'd have your own customized framework for each app that is developed and keeps *all* of the modules relevant to that app. Nothing extra would be included that isn't needed.

Then as a developer all you're looking for is modules and not huge frameworks that may include lots of functionality that you don't have any interest in. It would certainly keep any attack surface smaller when it comes to vulnerabilities.

Is there anything out there like that?

A good framework won't load all of the code out there. It will load the
code on an as-needed basis. So that if you only use one piece, that's
the only piece loaded (notwithstanding the loading mechanism being
loaded also :)

Cheers,
Rob.

True, but I was also talking more about the package of files to install that contains all of the code. For instance, if the Zend Framework contains 8 different modules and all of the php code files to support those 8, and I only need to use 3 of those modules for my specific app, then it would be cool to be able to not have to have all the additional code files that aren't used.

I just like to keep things as small and tidy as possible. :) Of course, maybe frameworks do this and I'm just missing something...