From: Nathan Nobbe
To: Jon Westcot
Cc: PHP General
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] Need help adding dBase support to PHP

On 10/11/07, Jon Westcot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi again:

      Thanks for the info.  From what I can see, GoDaddy does NOT provide
access to ssh.  Any other thoughts?  Or is there some way to tell me, in
general terms, how to configure PHP to allow the dbase functions to be used?

if  godaddy is recommending that you place values in a .htaccess file they
probly mean you should upload a .htaccess
file via ftp.  im assuming thats how the give you access to the system (since
there is no ssh access).
im a bit unsure of the .htaccess setting, though i recently posted a small
how-to on using .htaccess files to override
settings in php.ini; this is common in shared hosting environments.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_php.ini_overrides_w/_.htaccess

basically, to have dbase support, php must be compiled w/ --enable-dbase, per
the documentation.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/rlef.dbase.php

perhaps, it is compiled in and the php.ini settings are preventing you from
using the functions (though that sounds hard to believe).
you might try tossing a phpinfo script on the box and looking for dbase in the
output; particularly look for --enable-dbase, or --disable-dbase.
you should see a dbase section also, if its compiled in.  if it is there we can
get a better idea of what sort of values could be placed in the
.htaccess file that would influence the behavior of the dbase component on that
system.

-nathan